12.18.2007

Bringing cosmos to this...

Let's be honest (ok, I'll just speak for myself because not everybody is the same regarding what I'm about to say), again, let's be honest these Work blogs die out pretty quickly. They are too problematic. Real Work effort has to be private, methinks, otherwise you're just putting down attitude in the posts and comments, i.e. no matter what you're saying about things you still look kind of OK and cool in it all. (I'm speaking for myself.)

A good use of a blog for effort is something like this. Because it is just simple recording of something done on a daily basis; a no nonsense record of actually doing and keeping up with real, simple aims. (My aims there can get more interesting as the year progresses, but for now those seem good. I don't think more than five is going to be practical though, but eventually I'll finish Tom Jones and have room for another...)

OK, forget what I said above. A new year approaches, and one can either do something in a dedicated manner or one can go day to day doing the same desultory, go-nowhere things. (By the way, '$/contained' just means for me all necessary worldly tasks and activities.)

I don't want S. or P. to stop their Work blogs. But just remember that an effort needs to be a contained cosmos to gather force within itself; and it needs to have a beginning, middle, and end.

2 comments:

+ said...

Here's the trick: keep it real. I know we are a creature that is easily deceived. We could be feeding our ego and servicing false personality. That's just something personal you have to work with. There's a whole lotta things to say about deception and especially self-deception, it's at the foundations of man's condition. All that aside. Using a blog for work efforts is ok, and worth encouraging. In subtle ways it shifts the emphasis of 1st line work and nudges it into 3rd line territory. Speaking for myself I've been silent for a long time and whilst I'm not openly promoting this blog or anything of the sort I think it's a good thing for me to do right now, an extra degree of motivation, and now that it's out there, it may be useful to others in ways I'll never now. It may be useless too, but as I'll never know either way, it'll last as long as it doesn't hinder, and I've got the time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your point about the trap of falling into writing for your audience - but personally, its ok. As long as there IS something REAL going on at the other end (all be it more ordinary) then the blog really just becomes a creative expression of these activities.