11.26.2008

Note on the Calvin posts

I don't know why I wrote two long posts on John Calvin. It's not like I'm a groupie. It's really just because the chain of doctrine that is the armor of God and that changes you internally is 'Federal' theology. It has the individual level and the level that is the great arc and mechanics of the plan of redemption. It's like the 'mechanics of mysticism.' Of course it is the Work in biblical doctrinal language. And Calvin is like the prophet on the mountain elucidating it, or teaching others who presented it...

2 comments:

+ said...

Well those are interesting posts and for me, at least, relevant coming out of a dialogue and in response to other comments. Two worthwhile posts. I admit a part of me really wanted to unearth something as radical as Calvin openly elucidating on The Iliad in the manner of his more familiar exegesis. One thing, despite the reasoning, Homer is nowhere near childish things.

The Puritan said...

It would be interesting to get Calvin's complete works on CD with a search capability. He might have said enough small things here and there to add up to something interesting. (I know he said alot of doctrinally interesting things that don't get repeated in academic contexts.) I know Zwingli though was much less reluctant to talk about classical literature and its influence on him and its worth. I only have one book with several of his writings in it, but it's in storage currently.

I'll bet I could find something though re Calvin and, say, the Homeric epics if I look enough...